Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Sinful Colors - Neon Melon swatches and review

Hello world! Sorry I've been absent for a bit, had some family issues that required my attention, which unfortunately also required that I put everything else on the back burner! But I'm back this week, and have some great polishes that I'm excited to share with you.

First up is this little neon, which is from the Sinful Colors line at Walgreens. I got this one a couple weeks ago when they were having a 50% off sale on them, which means that I got this for just $1! Can't beat that, right?

Neon Melon, in the bottle, looks like the perfect highlighter yellow--a color I've been searching for to wear this summer! Unfortunately, I had a couple problems with the application, which means that I'm not as in love with it as I was when I first saw it. Also, please excuse my really dry hands! I can't believe I didn't notice how dry they were when I was taking these, and then I took the polish off before I realized. But anyway, on to the swatches.



Shown here with a base coat of Orly Bonder and a top coat of China Glaze - Fast Forward.

First of all, it's REALLY SHEER. Not three coats sheer, more like this took me five coats to even get it to this level of opaqueness (see above) and, as you can see, there's still bald spots and streaks. I can usually handle a three-coater, which is still more sheer than most polishes, but five + coats is just crazy.


In some lights, it looks a little more canary yellow (like in the photo above)  but as you can see, it really is a neon, as the name suggests. I'm not sure why it's called Melon though, because when I think of melons, I tend to think pink. But anyway....


My other problem with this one was that it stained my nails, and if it wasn't such a funky color, I wouldn't have minded, but my fingers look sort of diseased now, a weird greenish yellow! I even used a base coat of Orly Bonder, but guess I'll need to double up on that next time. 

I did read something on a blog about layering neons like this over white, and I was going to try that, but when I went to grab my bottle of white polish, it was missing! I have no clue where it went, since I haven't seen it for quite some time. I guess I'll have to get another here soon--any recommendations for a great white?


No comments:

Post a Comment